Now is the time to fully embrace SAP modernization. There is simply too much value in the data contained within SAP applications for any enterprise to risk missing out on potential digital transformation opportunities.
By modernizing SAP in the cloud, IT teams can simplify, accelerate and reduce risk. As noted by Frost & Sullivan, cloud enables enterprises to:
- Optimize IT investments.
- Maximize the value of data.
- Uses IT more strategically.
- Leverage technology innovation, such as SAP HANA and artificial intelligence.1
But not all cloud solutions or providers can deliver the capabilities and characteristics demanded by modern enterprises. These include bullet-proof performance and reliability, simplicity, high availability, and global service capabilities. Fundamentally, you want a cloud partner you can rely on to understand and help propel your business forward.
When it comes to delivering an “enterprise-grade” cloud environment for your business-critical SAP workloads, IBM Cloud has several distinct advantages versus other providers. These include:
- An AI-enabled cloud platform that gives you the ability to access real-time information across your entire enterprise and deliver insight to where it can provide immediate value.
- The ability to lift and shift SAP workloads to the cloud using familiar VMware technology and skills, enabling enterprises to non-disruptively take advantage of the benefits of public cloud with minimal change and risk.
- Significant improvements in disaster recovery and business continuity without having to go through the upfront and ongoing expense of building a separate off-site data center for disaster recovery.
- The ability to drive SAP performance, control and security through the use of dedicated bare metal servers that are certified to run SAP HANA and NetWeaver applications.
Beyond these capabilities, IBM Cloud offers a range of other features and functions that separate it from the competition, particularly when it comes to supporting successful SAP migrations:
- IBM is the only cloud service provider that offers VMware on SAP HANA and NetWeaver servers.
- IBM is the only cloud service provider that does not charge for data transfer between IBM Cloud data centers.
- IBM is the only cloud service provider that does not require customers to pay for a multi-year term upfront.
- IBM has more than 60 data center locations around the globe to meet clients’ data compliancy and sovereignty requirements.
- IBM's cognitive, blockchain and IoT technologies can be leveraged on SAP to power digital transformation and intelligent enterprise models.
- IBM can provide SAP customers with three different cloud models—public, private and hybrid—on the same cloud platform.
As we reach the conclusion of this special Guide to Running SAP in the Cloud, we leave the last word to IDC:
“Customer needs vary, and different customers are at different points in their cloud journey. In several cases, IT organizations are in multiple phases at the same time—moving certain applications directly into public cloud while building new next-generation applications on cloud-native technologies.
“Addressing these needs requires flexibility in the core offering as well as a rich and growing set of technologies on the public cloud platform, such as analytics, AI and cognitive services, and cloud-native platforms. IBM Cloud has been designed keeping this variance of enterprise IT needs as a key consideration to meet customers where they are, while enabling a comprehensive path to public cloud adoption, new technologies and transformation.” 2
1 “Growing Your SAP Business in the Cloud,” Frost & Sullivan, October 2018.
2 “IBM Cloud for VMware Solutions: Bringing VMware Environments to the Public Cloud,” IDC, August 2018.