Creating customized roles can be a long and laborious process, but using the system trace can save a lot of time.
You can switch on a trace for a particular user and record all tcodes and authorization objects required to perform the tasks required in the new / existing role.
1. Execute ST01
2. Select Edit: Filter: Shared
3. Enter the userid that you will use to perform all the tasks in 'trace for user only'
4. Select Edit: Settings: Write to database
5. From the ST01 check the box for Authorization check
6. Activate trace
7. Perform all the tasks that you wish to record for the new / existing role using the userid entered in step 3. (It is better to use a userid that already has sufficient access)
8. Stop the trace
9. View the trace by selecting "File list" from ST01
10. Analyse the file, making sure that you check the box for authorisation check.
You will see all the authorization objects listed that you will require for your role. It is now straight-forward to add all of these in role maintenance.