SAP Cloud Platform ABAP Environment is a software platform that allows SAP developers to use the ABAP language in cloud environments. Essentially, it is a platform as a service (PaaS) for ABAP that enables developers to extend existing ABAP-based applications in the cloud and create new cloud-based applications that use the latest technologies.
SAP Cloud Platform ABAP Environment was announced by SAP at the SAP TechEd 2017 developers' conference and made generally available in October 2018.Content Continues Below
Purpose of the SAP Cloud Platform ABAP Environment
ABAP is a high-level programming language that forms the foundation of most SAP ERP applications, including SAP ECC and S/4HANA. Prior to SAP Cloud Platform ABAP Environment, ABAP was only available in on-premises SAP environments, limiting the ability to extend SAP applications into the cloud. Java and Node.js are the other languages that developers can use to create cloud-based SAP applications and extensions, but SAP Cloud Platform ABAP Environment allows developers to use their existing ABAP skills. ABAP code is widely used to customize SAP applications, and the ABAP Environment helps developers make these customizations cloud-ready by enabling them to work with a familiar tool set.
There a number of benefits to using cloud-based ABAP development. You can:
- Access the latest ABAP innovations, which are continually updated via the cloud.
- Manage development of SAP extensions in one central environment, rather than deploying them on various on-premises servers.
- Instantly deploy the latest SAP platform updates.
- Access and include next-generation technologies like AI, machine learning, and IoT in SAP applications.
- Streamline and control costs for training, equipment, and operations and administration.
Working with SAP Cloud Platform ABAP Environment
The SAP Cloud Platform ABAP Environment is accessed through the Cloud Cockpit, a centralized web UI that allows SAP Cloud Platform users to manage their accounts, applications and configurations. Developers write ABAP code with the ABAP Development Tool for Eclipse (ADT) and can use Git for code exchange and versioning. Because the ABAP Environment is part of SAP Cloud Platform, developers can use all of the cloud platform's services, including the SAP HANA database.
Licensing and availability
SAP Cloud Platform ABAP Environment is available on SAP Cloud Platform in two licensing options: a subscription-based pricing model and a metered services (pay-per-use) model. Pricing is based on ABAP memory and HANA memory, with a minimum 16 GB ABAP application server on top of 64 GB HANA.
Continue Reading About SAP Cloud Platform ABAP Environment
- Listen to this podcast to discover why SAP developers may not be ready for the intelligent enterprise vision