Connected devices and the Internet of Things have led to an enormous data explosion. These vast amounts of data...
can offer a competitive advantage to companies that are able to gain insight from them. SAP Predictive Analytics is one tool that deserves consideration. It takes this untapped data, and applies data modeling and analysis logic to it. Then, in turn, it generates a realistic prediction of future events.
Before delving into what SAP Predictive Analytics offers in terms of data analytics capabilities, it is important to first understand that Predictive Analytics combines SAP InfiniteInsight and SAP Predictive Analysis into a single data analysis product, while still retaining two distinct tool sets -- Automated Analytics for business users and Expert Analytics for data scientists and business analysts.
Here are the salient features of each of the two tool sets of SAP Predictive Analytics:
- Data Manager helps business users easily prepare data for analysis.
- Modeler enables business users to create data models, such as regression, clustering, time series and classification. Data models created in a test or simulated environments are easy to extract and transport to production environments.
- Social extracts and uses data stored in different data sets to improve the decision-making and prediction capabilities of data models. Using graphs, it can represent how different data logically connects with one another.
- Recommendation creates product recommendations for customers based on social network analysis.
- Model Manager lets business users "retrain" models on different data sets. Model Manager has to be separately installed, as it is only installed when the company installs Predictive Analytics.
- Data Analysis offers several data analysis options, such as forecasting, time series, trend analysis, outlier detection, segmentation analysis and affinity analysis.
- Data Visualization offers several data visualization techniques, such as decision trees, parallel coordinates, scatter matrix charts and cluster charts.
- Data Analytics features a large range of predictive algorithms, in-memory data mining capabilities and R open source statistical analysis.
With Predictive Analytics, SAP has tried to make the transition smooth for people previously using either SAP InfiniteInsight or SAP Predictive Analysis by providing almost all of the features available in two independent data analytics products. However, the roadmap points toward a unified user interface to give the uniform look and feel of Predictive Analytics.
Want a smoother SAP BI upgrade?
Selecting an SAP BI and data warehouse platform
A look at SAP Cloud for Analytics
Dig Deeper on Business Objects and SAP business intelligence
Related Q&A from Jawad Akhtar
The V-Model combines three highly interconnected components of product development: mechanics, electronics and informatics. Here are the steps for ... Continue Reading
One of the main challenges for manufacturers, supply chain managers and materials planners is demand variability. Here are 10 strategies for gaining ... Continue Reading
SAP Sales and Distribution, a component of SAP ECC, has a number of available functions to help create a better order-to-cash cycle. Here's a look at... Continue Reading
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.