What exactly is SAPUI5, and what does it replace?Date: Mar 11, 2014
Applications can be built using SAPUI5 that connect to any type of back-end system (or that just run in the browser and don't connect to any back-end system at all). However, the original goal of SAPUI5 (and still one of the main goals) was to develop an application framework for use in SAP environments, according to Jewett.
The SAPUI5 toolkit can replace previous technologies, such as Web Dynpro. "Nowadays, we might decide to use SAPUI5 combined with something on the back end that serves a Web service like SAP's NetWeaver Gateway platform," Jewett says in the video.
The company's SAP Fiori line of Web-based apps, which have a device-agnostic user interface, have all been built on SAPUI5, according to Jewett. There is also an open source version of SAPUI5, called OpenUI5, on GitHub.
"Some people in the community are using that to build [SAP] applications as well," Jewett says.
About the expert:
Ethan Jewett is an independent consultant and SAP Mentor. He focuses on business intelligence, information management and performance management, and works with clients on data management and performance management tools. For more information, check out his blog.
For more on SAP software development technologies:
- SAP announces two new partnerships with mobile application development platform vendors to make it easier for companies and developers to create SAP mobile applications
- What is a mobile application development platform vendor?
- Expert sees SAPUI5 as one of the key trends to watch in 2014
- Learn more about developing mobile enterprise applications
- Is your company developing a device-agnostic mobile strategy?