Undeniably, certifications can enhance your resume and provide an employer with verifiable proof of your knowledge in one particular area. But what do these expensive pieces of paper really mean in the SAP job market?
Is certification required to get a job in SAP? Will it open new doors for your career? Most importantly, does having certification mean you'll automatically land a job? And there are so many certifications out there -- how do you know which one is right for you?
This SearchSAP.com learning guide is designed to answer those questions, the answers to which may become more clear now that SAP has a new certification program and is disclosing internal research on the value of certification. Let us know if this information helps during your job search. Also, don't forget to send us an e-mail to let us know what other resource guides you'd like to see on SearchSAP.com.
|TABLE OF CONTENTS
Considering SAP certification?
Breaking into SAP with certification
SAP certification expert advice
Expanding your skill set with certification
More SearchSAP Resources
|Considering SAP certification?||Return to Table of Contents|
Most professionals interested in SAP jobs thinks about certification eventually. Whether you're considering working in SAP ERP, SAP HR, SAP CRM, SAP SCM, SAP MDM, SAP FI/CO, or any other module, you can potentially complement your technical research by finding out more about SAP certification. Start by listening to SAP explain its official certification program in this exclusive podcast. Remember, despite SAP's bullishness on certification, SAP certification may not be worth much depending on the circumstances.
- Considering certification
- For SAP professionals, security certification can pay
- SAP pros feud in ongoing talent war
- Scenario 1: I'm not sure if I need certification
- Research questions value of IT certifications
- Scenario 2: I think certification might advance my career. Should I go for it?
- Scenario 3: I wonder if my current skills will help me get certified.
- Scenario 4: I'm certified. Why haven't I received a job offer?
- Scenario 5: Which certification will work the best for me?
- These days, is Java knowledge required for an ABAP programmer?
- After certification, don't limit yourself to jobs in SAP
- SAP PLM's high demand may mean a hot job market
- The best development skills mix for the future: ABAP, Java, and EP
- Good move: SAP SD to CRM?
- SAP certification for a recent grad
|Choosing certification||Return to Table of Contents|
There are several SAP certification options. For example, you have to decide whether you want to get certified by SAP directly or by an SAP partner. Then you have to choose a certifiable skill. Maybe ABAP is your thing, or you want to know whether SAP XI and SAP BW are still hot career fields. Whatever the case, this section will help you choose between certification options. A good place to begin is by learning all about which SAP skills are hot, and which are not, in the current market.
- Is SAP BI/BW the right career area for an experienced software developer?
- Finding your special niche
- Scenario 1: Basis and NetWeaver
- Scenario 2: ABAP/Java development
- Scenario 3: CRM, PLM and SD
- Scenario 4: SRM
- Scenario 5: Becoming a trainer
- Scenario 6: BW
- Navigating the SAP certification maze
- Help choosing only one certification in SAP
- What is the best certification for a Basis administrator?
- Why you don't have to choose between SAP XI and BW
- Can I leverage data conversion, DBA experience to get into BW?
- Career prospects for SAP MM vs. SRM, PLM
- ABAP and Basis: outdated in the SAP job market?
- Do I have the skills to move from eCommerce to mySAP CRM?
- Is ABAP certification right for me?
- Is SAP Basis certification required?
- FI or CO certification
- Will MM and SD experience help me become an SAP BW consultant?
- Is mySAP CRM too technical for me?
|Breaking into SAP with certification||Return to Table of Contents|
SAP certifications can help professionals gain new skills or get one of the many SAP jobs in the marketplace. However, certification alone won't do the trick; this section discusses how your overall experience, education and skillset will impact your chances of breaking into SAP. One way to measure your prospects is to take a SearchSAP certification quiz to see if your current knowledge of SAP is sufficient. For example, how much do you know about SAP BW or ABAP? Take our quizzes to find out, starting with SAP for beginners.
- SAP consulting trends, part I
- SAP consulting trends, part II
- Breaking into SAP
- Why won't my training certificates get me hired?
- An SAP SCM career: Getting started
- Scenario 1: Is SAP is right for me?
- Scenario 2: I'm a new graduate. How should I break in?
- Scenario 3: I'm certified. Why can't I find a job?
- Scenario 4: Can previous experience get me in the door?
- Scenario 5: Should I fake experience?
- Scenario 6: I'm getting interviews but no job offers.
- Is certification the way to get into SAP?
- Combining BW and NetWeaver skills to break into SAP
- Help! I want to get into SAP HR with no implementation experience
- I was snatched up by PeopleSoft, but my heart still beats for SAP
- Is a good job possible with SAP certification but no project experience?
|SAP certification expert advice||Return to Table of Contents|
SAP jobs and SAP certification advice can be very specific to your situation, so the SearchSAP experts are here to answer any specific question you have. From the latest advice about breaking into SAP NetWeaver to giving you tips on the current demand for CRM consultants, we've got you covered. Just visit our Ask the Experts section.
- SAP jobs: the next big trends
- New year - time to jump start your career?
- Finding your special niche
- Consulting 101
- Career topic center
- Certification topic center
- Career and certification FAQs
- Browse Jon Reed's expert advice column
- Submit your own career and certification question for Jon Reed
|Expanding your skill set with certification||Return to Table of Contents|
A certificate is just a step in the lifelong learning process that accompanies SAP jobs. Remember that SAP certification is just one way to learn new skills and plan your SAP career.
- Keys to SAP business process success
- ABAP for newbies
- Getting ahead in SAP
- Planning a career in APO in light of ESA and NetWeaver
- Will NetWeaver or WAS certification help advance career?
- Young programmer looking to become an all-star in Java
- My company can't advance my skills, but I want to be an SAP guru!
- Certified, yet jobless
- Do Java skills help with SAP certification?
- Do Basis positions require certification?
- Do I need ABAP/NetWeaver certification?
|More SearchSAP Resources||Return to Table of Contents|
- SAPWatch, the SearchSAP blog, offers breaking news, analysis and commentary on SAP careers, strategy, development, partners and more. Find out what's going on in the SAP ecosystem and get involved in the discussion by leaving comments. SAPWatch
- Browse through SearchSAP's many podcasts with SAP careers experts, SAP executives and other movers and shakers in the SAP community. SearchSAP Podcasts
- Stay current on SAP developments that could impact your career by reading our comprehensive news coverage of SAP. SearchSAP News
- Our Learning Guides offer in-depth, targeted information on many SAP domains, from NetWeaver to ABAP and beyond. When you're ready to find out more about the SAP area in which you want a career, find the details here. SearchSAP Learning Guides
This was first published in July 2008