MDM's core components that support Central Master Data Management, Consolidation and Harmonization scenarios are:
- The Master Data Server (MDS), Import Server (MDIS) and Syndication Server (MDSS). These are proprietory non-J2EE services that can run under Windows or Unix.
- The MDM Console, Data Manager, Import Manager and Syndicator are Win32 "thick" clients.
- The MDM "thin" client, consisting of iViews and connectors for SAP Enterprise Portal and SAP Web Application Server.
- The MDM Java API, made up of the following libraries:
- The legacy API: MDM4J.jar
- The new API: mdm-common.jar, mdm-admin.jar, mdm-core.jar, mdm-data.jar, mdm-protocol.jar
- MDM CLIX, a very useful command line interface to server and repository operations.
Your technical landscape and business scenarios will decide how much more of the extensive MDM menu -- shown in the next section -- will be need to be installed.
A QuickStart Guide to SAP MDM 5.5
Part 1: Select and Install MDM Components
Part 2: MDM Components and Modules
Part 3: MDM architecture: How components fit into the MDM eco-system
Part 4: The OS/DB Product Availability Matrix for MDM 5.5 SP4
Part 5: MDM for the Java Developer
Part 6: Tips and Tools for the MDM Administrator
Part 7: Migrating MDM Configuration
This was first published in November 2006