Step - 1 : Identifying the remote data source
Log on to the Remote xMII server where the data source is residing and note the Datasource Name. In our example, it is a SQL database with a datasource name of Supermarket.
Step - 2: Configuring the Virtual Server connector on the Local xMII Server.
In the Local xMII Server, go to Data Services -> Data Servers.
Uncheck the Show Only Enabled Servers checkbox and select the VirtualSQL Connector from the list.
Now enter the configuration parameters as explained below :
- Name : The name by which this data source will be referred to (e.g. TestVirtualSQL for this example).
- Enabled : Check this box to enable this data server.
- Description : Any description of the data server connection.
- IP : IP/MachineName of the Remote xMII Server.
- LegacyURL : Check this if you are connecting to older xMII servers.
- Port : The port the Remote xMII server is listening on. Ideally it would be the number after the servername in the URL. (eg : http://<server>:<port>/Lighthammer/Menu.jsp)
- If nothing is mentioned after the servername, then the default value of 80 would be fine.
- Protocol : Default value of HTTP should be fine, however if you have HTTPS configured, the value entered should be https instead of http
- RemoteLoginName : The Login name for the Remote xMII Server (not the Remote Datasource) with proper access rights to the remote datasource you want to access.
- RemoteLoginPassword : The password for the Remote xMII Server.
- RemoteServerName : The name of the datasource on the Remote xMII Server that you want to access (will be SuperMarket in our case).
- TZOffset : The Time Zone Offset in minutes if a time difference exists between the local and the remote xMII server.
Step - 3 : Testing the connection.
Go to Data Servers->Query Templates and create a SQLQuery. Select the Virtual Server TestVirtualSQL in the Server list and choose the Query Mode.
Now choose the SQL Query Details tab and verify if the tables of the remote database are displayed in the Available Tables list.
Select a table, columns to query and test the query to see the results.
Step - 4 : Troubleshooting.
If your connection fails when you try to access a Remote xMII server on your LAN, check under System Management->System Administration.
If you have a proxy server configured here, make sure you have checked the ProxyBypassLocal check box and have added the IP of the Remote Server to the ProxyBypassList parameter.
Please refer to the Help Document http://<server>:<port>/LighthammerCMS/Help/System_Management/VirtualServerConnector.htm for details.
Abesh Bhattacharjee is presently working in SAP Labs India Pvt. Ltd. as a Development Specialist.
This content is reposted from the SAP Developer Network.
Copyright 2007, SAP Developer Network
SAP Developer Network (SDN) is an active online community where ABAP, Java, .NET, and other cutting-edge technologies converge to form a resource and collaboration channel for SAP developers, consultants, integrators, and business analysts. SDN hosts a technical library, expert blogs, exclusive downloads and code samples, an extensive eLearning catalog, and active, moderated discussion forums. SDN membership is free.
This was first published in March 2007