Looking for something else?
1. My users received Excel spreadsheets directly from vendors or from other employees containing items that need to be ordered.
2. They created Purchase Orders (P.O.s) and typed them in, item by item. Sometimes, they switched back and forth between Excel and SAPGUI to copy and paste the item description, or sometimes they just printed the spreadsheet and read from it.
Needless to say, this process is tedious, prone to errors (typos) and time-consuming.
In a nutshell, here is what I did to automate their data entry:
1. I observed them enter a few line items in a P.O. That way, I could identify the data pieces required to create their P.Os.
2. Then I created a P.O. myself and recorded the steps in a VBS script using SAPGUI scripting.
3. Lastly, I wrote an ABAP program to read a (line-item) data file and convert it into a VBS script that can be played using SAPGUI scripting.
See the following diagram to get a better idea of the new process:
AUTOMATING LINE-ITEM DATA ENTRY VIA SAPGUI
Step 1: Setting the stage
Step 2: Activating SAPGUI scripting
Step 3: Preparing the input data file
Step 4: Recording the data entry
Step 5: Analyzing the VBS script
Step 6: Automating the VBS script creation
Step 7: Running the VBS script program generator
Step 8: Playing the VBS script to enter the line items
Step 9: Troubleshooting
Review: Conclusion and more resources