Installing a new SCM system and performing a backup/restore from the old to the new system is probably the easiest procedure. After the restore, the connections between R/3 and live cache need to be adjusted to the new system name.
Backup/restore is not an option if the system is to be migrated to a new platform (heterogeneous system copy). The SAP migration tools are to be used.
The sequential steps are as follows;
- Backup the live cache data to the R/3 database
- Backup the demand planning time series to InfoCubes in the R/3 database
- Use R3load to export and import the R/3 data
- In the new system, push the live cache data back in the new live cache
- Push the demand planning time series back in the new live cache.
The homogeneous and heterogeneous system copy procedures are explained in detail in the SAP component homogeneous and heterogeneous copy manual (http://service.sap.com/instguides). Migrating live cache data is discussed in OSS note 632357: 'Backing live cache data for SCM 4.0 and higher' or OSS note 541644: Backing up the data from the live cache for APO 3.x.
This was first published in May 2007