In today's globalized, complex and volatile supply chain, the need for supply chain visibility that enables decisive...
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
actions is more important than ever.
Supply chain executives can access better visibility with the HANA-powered Lumira, which offers a dashboard using real-time analytics to show four critical supply chain key performance indicators. These supply chain KPIs are vendor delivery performance, sales trend, line fill rate and months of supply. The required data for these supply chain KPIs streams into the dashboard through sensors, smart devices, GPS and RFID.
However, before delving into the details of the dashboard, let's take a look at five challenges that today's supply chain executives face:
- Getting supply chain visibility. Supply chain practitioners are inundated with unstructured data and are struggling to transform it into insight that can help them make better, more informed business decisions.
- Preventing cost escalations. A number of mercurial factors -- such as wage increases in previously low-wage countries, and fluctuating transportation costs due to oil and fuel price volatility -- often add to supply chain practitioners' woes, raise costs and increase the complexity of supply chain management.
- Lowering risk. Supply chain practitioners are increasingly held accountable in areas such as reducing carbon footprints and supply chain sustainability.
- Aligning products with customer needs. There is a gap between customers' needs and company offerings. Companies tend to focus more on coordinating with suppliers to design products than to incorporate customer feedback. Eventually, this situation leads to an inefficient supply chain where unwanted products remain unsold while others face empty racks.
- Gaining control of globalization challenges. While globalization has opened up a world of business opportunities, supply chain executives still struggle with longer lead time, poor quality and unreliable delivery.
To help boost visibility -- and thus help boost better supply chain management, more generally -- Lumira offers a single dashboard with real-time data that captures the following four critical supply chain KPIs:
- Vendor delivery performance provides summarized as well as detailed visibility to purchase situations of the current month, both in terms of quantity and value. It also shows purchase orders that aren't delivered as yet, as well as delivery schedules of future deliveries.
- Sales trend shows how a particular product's or brand's forecasted sales are faring against actual sales, in case supply chain practitioners need to take any timely action such as increasing production of fast-selling products.
- Line fill rate is a holistic view of all sales orders shipped on time. It also leverages historical data to predict accuracy and timeliness of line fill rates for future orders.
- Months of supply calculates the months of supply of a product that the company will need to produce by taking current inventory level, actual and forecasted consumptions into account.
How retailers can improve their supply chain
HANA is key to SAP's cloud
British Gas improves supply chain logistics
Dig Deeper on SAP implementation and upgrades
Related Q&A from Jawad Akhtar
Demand-driven MRP reduces uncertainty, volatility, complexity and ambiguity -- factors that are often responsible for disrupting the supply chain.continue reading
Capable-to-Match is a subcomponent of SAP APO that enables better demand and supply controls by balancing production constraints, supplier lead time ...continue reading
SAP Governance, Risk and Compliance can help companies prevent fraud, comply with environmental regulations, and manage risks.continue reading
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.