If you're looking to significantly cut time and effort when implementing Business Suite on SAP HANA, the SAP Software...
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
Provisioning Manager is a database migration tool that can help.
SWPM is part of Solution Manager and is activated when you install Solution Manager in the SAP ERP Central Component (ECC) system.
Companies that are planning to use Software Provisioning Manager need to first ensure that their existing SAP ECC is upgraded to the latest software version, such as Enhancement Package 7 or later, to ensure successful HANA database migration. Older SAP ECC versions do not support HANA database migration, nor the latest support packages or enhancement packages.
Using SWPM is also known as a classical migration approach since this tool enables any third-party database, which SAP refers to as AnyDB, to be migrated to SAP HANA. In a classical migration approach, the system administrator can import and export database activities, which makes Software Provisioning Manager an attractive option to cut costs and save time.
Here are some important tips that will ensure the most-effective use of SWPM, and, in turn, a trouble-free and smoother migration.
Tips for export
- Before starting the actual migration process, be sure to download the latest kernel for the source and the target database systems.
- Since HANA migration will convert the source database's cluster and pool tables into transparent tables, be sure to run relevant utilities in the source database to identify any errors during conversion. Errors found while converting to transparent tables can be fixed well ahead of time. Implement SAP Notes 1077403, 1087959 and 1921023 to identify and fix all errors found during table conversions.
- Split the existing database tables to manageable limits. Use Transaction DBACOCKPIT in the source SAP ERP system for this purpose. It's recommended to split database tables to under 2 GB or under 10 million rows.
- Tend to all errors found in the source system and existing database during updates and prior to using SWPM, otherwise you can face errors in actual migration.
- Lock out all SAP users from the system prior to database migration and hold off any running background jobs such as printing or data transfer taking place through interfaces.
Tips for import
- Be sure to switch the HANA database to "overwrite" mode.
- Choose the "tables splitting" option and the number of parallel processing sessions that SAP HANA will run simultaneously. Be sure to run at least two parallel sessions to speed up the database migration process, but don't run too many. For example, 10 will lead to an overload on HANA's resources and network and will significantly slow down the database migration activity. Four to six parallel sessions is optimal.
- Be sure to monitor progress. SAP will automatically initiate the Migration Monitor program so you can view the database progress being made. Only under exceptional circumstances will you need to manually start the Migration Monitor.
- If the database import performance is progressing satisfactorily, you can add a few more migration sessions to reduce the migration time.
- Use the SAP-provided tool MIGTIME, also called Time Analyzer, to get text and graphical display of database export and import performances.
HANA database migration is much more than a technical project. However, with the right groundwork, database migration tool and processes, you can foster success.
Backup and recovery essentials for Business Suite on HANA
Does aging infrastructure affect HANA migrations?
Steps to implementing HANA
Dig Deeper on SAP Solution Manager
Related Q&A from Jawad Akhtar
The SAP ERP system -- also known as ECC -- is the foundation for many companies' ERP implementations. Here's a look at its core components and what ...continue reading
Significant planning and preparation prior to integrating SAP ERP Warehouse Management with Extended Warehouse Management can help ensure success. ...continue reading
If your company is thinking about implementing SAP Supplier Relationship Management, you'll want to know how it works with Materials Management and ...continue reading
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.