1) Is the recommended method BAPI or ALE/IDoc?
2) What if a standard BAPI is not found in 3.1H?
3) What if standard IDoc/ALE scenario is not rich enough in 3.1H?
4) The addressed module will be Plant Maintenance/Service Management.
I want to avoid BDC/Call transactions, is that Ok? Or will I be forced to use it within custom function module...
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
(even via ALE/IDocs)?
2) You need to code it yourself.
3) Again, you need properly to slice up your BAPI or IDoc function to add the missing functionality.
There is, of course, no need to use BDC/CTU to inject data in your system. SAP provides for most applications a direct update method via a BAPI, which is a standard and publicly released API to the SP R/3 transaction. However, BDC has some appeal if you have IDocs that deliver poor quality data and you often need to reprocess them. Having a screen popped up where the user can simply correct or complement the missing data, is a very convenient way of working.
Dig Deeper on SAP interface technologies
Related Q&A from Axel Angeli
An SAP user wants to know how to upload data into SAP R/3 when SAP Scripting is not enabled.continue reading
An SAP user is receiving an error message while integrating SAP iDoc PORDCR1 for a purchase order.continue reading
An SAP user is having difficulty with PERNR iDoc while transporting data from SAP to an external system.continue reading
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.